- First, you'll be more productive if you're standing.
- Second, posture and footwear are important.
- Finally, it's not so strange, after you get used to it.
Second, pay attention to your posture and your footwear. I use a GelPro Mat underfoot and make sure to wear trainers or other comfortable shoes. In my experience, if you're barefoot or wearing sandals, you're more likely to experience fatigue and discomfort. Now, if you're just doing a quick task, no worries, but if you've got a lot of work, change into something more comfortable to you. And don't forget about posture. Don't slouch, don't lean on the desk, and pay attention to your foot placement. You'll have to experiment with what works best for you in this department, but try different postures, different arrangements of your keyboard and mouse. Remember to move your monitors so they're in your line of site; it's very bad posture to have to look up or down to see them.
Finally, standing feels quite strange to start. My first few days, my feet hurt, my legs were a little sore, and I certainly felt different than after a normal day of sitting at the desk. This is normal. Your body has adjusted to the sedentary life of sitting for part or all of the day, so it's going to take a little while to feel more normal. Take notice of what positions feel most comfortable and try different postures and you'll settle in.
Remember, you don't have to stand all day, but any amount of standing or moving around is likely to improve your health and fitness. Here's an interesting article from the Mayo Clinic about the dangers of sitting all day. And a few more from Lifehacker and Mashable. Here's what my normal day looks like, alternating between my standup and traditional desk:
- 7am-8am-Traditional Desk: Planning day, reading news and social media updates
- 8am-10am-Standup Desk: Working on projects
- 10am-1030am-Traditional Desk: Respond to emails and other annoyances
- 1030am-1230pm-Standup Desk: Working on projects
- 1230-2pm-Traditional Desk: Freelance projects
- 330pm-630pm-Standup Desk: Working on projects